Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Inheriting Beauty

For my 24th birthday, my sister got me the book Inheriting Beauty. I think I've subconsciously put off reading it because part of me is afraid that I will feel inferior after reading a book full of beautiful/successful/fashionable women. As much as the book is meant to inspire and motivate, I was secretly afraid that I will come to the conclusion that, I, would never come close to being like them. It wasn't until last night when I was waiting for a couple of friend's arrival that I started flipping through the pages to kill time.

It is a very simple book. The beautifully taken photographs are accompanied by short descriptions of the women featured- mainly where they are from and what they do. There are no long interviews, no life stories, and you won't read about their struggles and hardships. At first I felt pretty disconnected with all the women in this book. Most of them seem to have been born with a golden spoon in their mouths. I don't doubt that they are all hard working women with incredible talent and strength, who deserve all the praise in the world- but they seem to come from a completely different universe and I could not associate myself with them. Then I noticed that some of the women have shared what they learned from their parents in their spread...

"My parents taught me discretion, curiosity, respect
and passion for family, art, dogs and food" -Segolene Gallienne

"My parents taught me taste for beauty and love for life" - Fiona Scarry

"My parents taught me honesty, diplomacy,
loyalty, effort and the value of things" -Cristian Valls

So I started to really examine my life to find out what I learned from my parents. Not something that they taught me, but something that I learned by watching them live their lives, something that I inherited. And surprisingly, the lessons just started pouring in after some meditation. Most of them I've never thought of before! (I will save these for a future post as this is turning into a novel)

Perhaps the book title, Inheriting Beauty, goes beyond the superficial things that these women are born into. Money, status, and good looks aside, we are all the same- originated from a mother's womb as helpless babies and growing up looking up to/ learning from our parents. Isn't it so true that the most precious gift a parent can give their child good values to guide them onto a dignified path for their own lives? Aren’t our principles and believes the most glorious display of beauty?

Have you ever thought of what lessons you've taken away from your parents' lives? Take time to find out what your inherited beauty is, I found it to be an extremely satisfying and insightful practice.

Lillian

No comments:

Post a Comment