Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How Great & How Bad

Though I am filled with high hopes for Jeremy and for who he'd become and what he'd do in life, I confess that I am also tainted with fear at the same prospect.It is true that everyone, no matter how big or small, famous or not, boy or girl, young or old, everyone was once a baby. An innocent, starry eyed, newborn baby. Every baby is presented with a blank slate and a fresh start. Every president...but also every prisoner.

And this is where the fear and the worry sets in. What if gets on the wrong track? What if he messes up? I begin to see how frail life is, how easy one can be great, but also how easy to be bad. And when I think of this, I am reminded of how frail life is, how much we need to depend on God, how we are so insignificant without God. And when I'm reminded of this, I'm brought to a place of dependence - dependence on God, dependence on prayer. The best thing I can do is pray. The only thing I can do is pray. Because in the future, not long from now, I will not be making decisions for him anymore. He will make choices for himself, probably without my consult, and each choice he makes will have its consequences. And when that time comes, I can only pray that God will guide his steps when I no longer hold his hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment