Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Beginning of...


The very first time I met Carol was at church on a Friday night.
Our first conversation was her asking me about Hong Kong TV shows.
I think "Do you watch TVB?" were her exact words.
I remember being intimidated by her...

Her confidence-- in approaching someone new;
Her style-- I specifically remember this look of hers, where she would layer a white T underneath a black one with the white sleeves poking out a little;
Her "mature" perspective in life-- when I was using some stupid Applebee's jingle which I can no longer remember for this tagline game we were playing, she was using "Maybe it's Maybelline";
She became close friends with this girl at church that I thought was cool, and it seemed like they would do all kinds of fun things I didn't know about together;
She went out to parties with people I wish would invite me to hang out with, at clubs that I wish I knew about....
Everything about this girl intimidated me.

One of the most tried and true facts in this world is that women bond over the inadequacy of men. Carol and my friendship started from what she calls "shared misery".
I don't even remember how it began, but we started venting to each other about our awful boyfriends, and just like that-- our friendship started blossoming.

Shortly after we started getting close, I had to leave the country for 3 months. I half expected us to lose touch while I was away-- But somehow our friendship didn't grow apart from the distance. We overcame time difference problems and managed to talk/email/facebook/msn each other almost everyday. I spoke to her more than I did to my boyfriend; yet at times I would still miss her more than I missed him.

Now more than 2 years later, after fashion shows, shopping trips, operas, sleepovers, major crying sessions at movie theaters, haircuts, business ideas (nail color mixing kit anyone?), a lot of yummy foods, church visits, and a wonderful baby named Jeremy Asher Tran, we are still going strong, keeping each other sane, and sharing little discoveries in life.

We've grown so much since the days of me being intimidated by her. Carol has been the best friend/listener/advice giver/companion I can ask for, and my appreciation for her goes beyond words.
We started this blog because we wanted a place to record our friendship, we titled it "Grace Inspired" because we want to build each other up to be the best versions of ourselves -- to face the challenges in our lives with grace. With the "official launch" of Grace Inspired, I am asking you to join in our journey to becoming the best of what we are and share in our dialogue of living grace inspired lives.



Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment